Bellahouston

Opened: 1st July, 1885.
Closed: 1st January, 1917.
Reopened: 1919.
Closed: 20th September, 1954.

Bellahouston Station was opened on 1st July, 1885. It was situated on the G&SWR Paisley Canal Branch, and served the Bellahouston area of south-west Glasgow. It was closed to regular passenger traffic from 1st January, 1917 until 1919, although it remained open for workmens' traffic. It closed on 20th September, 1954. With the reopening of the Paisley Canal Line, a new station, Dumbreck, was opened near the site of Bellahouston Station on 28th July, 1990.

Wikipedia page.


Ex-Caledonian Railway '439' Class (LMSR Class 2P) 0-4-4T No. 55206 leaves Bellahouston Carriage Sidings with empty stock for Glasgow St. Enoch on 31st May, 1958. Beyond the Paisley Canal and Glasgow & Paisley Joint Lines is Kinning Park Goods Station. The photo was taken from the kitchen window of the home of the photographer. [W.A.C. Smith]

Shields

Opened: 1885.
Amalgamated with adjacent Shields Road and Pollokshields Stations and renamed Shields Road: 1st April, 1925.
Closed: 14th February, 1966.

Shields Station was situated in the Pollokshields district of Glasgow, on the Paisley Canal Line. It was opened during 1885 by the Glasgow & South Western Railway. Contemporary maps show that, at Shields Junction, the Glasgow, Paisley and Johnstone Canal and towpath had run alongside the Caledonian Railway line shortly before it connected to the Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway. There was plenty of space for the development of the new line and station buildings, as the canal had not followed as straight a course as the railway track to replace it would. With the opening of Shields Station, there were three adjacent stations at Shields Junction operated by different railway companies. Shields Road and Pollokshields Stations were situated immediately to the north of Shields Station. Each station had its own booking office fronting Shields Road. Shields Road station was the largest of the three, sharing one of its platforms with Pollokshields Station, which had been squeezed into the northern part of the complex, on line which connected the Glasgow & Paisley Line with the Caledonian Railway’s Glasgow Central station. The three stations at Shields Junction were amalgamated on 1st April, 1925, creating a larger Shields Road station, which continued in use until 1966 when train services to St. Enoch were withdrawn.

Wikipedia page.


Ex-LMSR Class 6P Jubilee 4-6-0 No. 45568 Western Australia passes through the Paisley Canal line platforms at Shields Road in liesurely fashion on 17th June, 1955, with the 7.10pm relief Starlight Special from Glasgow St. Enoch via Dalry and Kilmarnock to London St. Pancras. [W.A.C. Smith]

Corkerhill Shed


With the houses of Corkerhill railway village behind, three ex-Caledonian Railway shunting locomotives line up for disposal at Corkerhill Shed on the evening of 22nd July, 1959. The locomotives are '782' Class (LMSR Class 3F) 0-6-0T No. 56364, '498' Class (LMSR Class 2F) 0-6-0T No. 56156 and '782' Class No. 56279. The latter pair had received ugly stovepipe chimneys which, for reasons unknown, began to be fitted by St. Rollox Works at the end of the Second World War. They certainly did little to enhance the appearance of the locomotives concerned. [W.A.C. Smith]

Collapse )